Thursday, September 22, 2011

A little dose of perspective...

Today I'm feeling a little down, so I'm writing this post to remind me more than anyone else. Posting it because I'm sure there's someone out there in the same boat as me.

Sometimes we have to do things we don't like. Sometimes it's time to stop, other times it's time to knuckle down and get through it.

Those unliked things make us strong by teaching us dedication and perseverance. Also, they help us to appreciate how fortunate we are when we do get to do things we are passionate about.

Because the fact is, while I sit here complaining about studying a boring subject, there are people working at well below the minimum wage just to TRY feeding those they are responsible for. I still get time to do fun things. They get eighteen hour work days if they're fortunate.

Sometimes, we're just not as rich as we wish we were. Perhaps that's to teach us that material things aren't all that's important in life and to teach us empathy to those who have much much less than us. I heard somewhere that if you have one meal a day and a home whether rented or bought, we fall very high on the global income distribution. How high? 50%? No. 60%? No. Not seventy or eighty percent either. NINETY-SEVEN PERCENT of the world's population is poorer than we are. We just don't see them.

There are children living on trash heaps. Children left to die because no one's there to feed them. There's a food crisis in Somalia. Some countries in the world has an HIV infection rate well above 60% of the population with NO ARVs, NO financial support and NO welfare.

I get to pray about my situation. There are people lost any hope that their prayers will even be heard. Let alone answered.

I'm so thankful that I only have my problems, because they're pretty tiny in comparison. I only hope that God will one day give me the ability to help people who are so much more worse off than I am.

What are you thankful for?

5 comments:

Li said...

I have so much to be thankful for it would fill a book :-) But we can't be reminded too many times that for most of us, our worst day would be gratefully accepted by millions elsewhere in the world as a GREAT day! So, thanks.

Steph Schmidt said...

I am thankful for people like you Misha reminding me that things could be a whole heck worse right now in my life. If I have to take it one day at a time, not the end of the world.

Susan Kane said...

Yes, everyday is a day to reflect and be grateful for what God has given us.

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm sorry you had a bad day. Good you can put in perspective. I try to do the same. It could be worse.

I hope today is better.

Joanne said...

What a blessing to see the plight of others when you yourself are going through a tough time. God bless you!
Blessings, Joanne