Friday, April 6, 2012

A to Z Challenge: Fear


Photo by Sabrina Campagna


So... those of the lucky few who realized the need to take charge of our lives, know to keep going through all the challenges thrown at us from outside. All the naysayers and dream-eaters in the world can't stop us. 

And then a different beast altogether crosses our paths. 

Fear. 

It comes in many shapes and sizes, but usually it comes at us with its best buddy doubt and takes two forms: 

1) What if I don't make it? 

2) What if I make it, and it isn't what I wanted after all? 

Since taking full charge of ones life is a bit of a daunting task, the first fear is probably the most immediate and real of the two. 

Take me, for example. I have three big dreams. One is to become an author, one is to become a stage performer and the third is to own my own designer clothing line. 

Easy, right? No. One involves me writing and editing, which tends to take over my life. The other involves maintaining a look, which means I have to maintain a healthy lifestyle and being fit. Not easy when you're nailed to a computer. The third involves getting training that is surprisingly expensive. So for me, making all three happen is incredibly difficult. 

The solution to this to make plans that fit in for as much as possible. For example, losing weight and keeping it off: If I look good, I feel good. So not only will it be easier for people to cast me, but I'll be able to write more. And so on. For more details on how I do this, come back on J-Day. 

For me, the second fear is the lurking killer of my motivation. Because the fact is, no one can assure me that I'm not looking at something from an idealistic perspective that will lead to disappointment when I see the real thing. Will it be worth it in the end? Really? 

I'm not sure about how it is for everyone else, but for me, the solution lies in trusting God and putting my faith in Him that He won't lead me astray. Because the whole reason why I'm even on this journey was because He pushed me to make changes. And He guided me to take on my dreams again. 

So when either of my fears hit me, I take it to my Father and talk to Him about it. He might not make it go away, but He will give me the strength I need to move through the fear and continue the journey. 

What fears hit you when you think about chasing your dreams? How do you deal with them? 

25 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

We chose the same theme for F

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Fear is not a nice emotion but at some time in our lives we encounter it for different reasons.
I live alone so have no human to talk with but I know God is there.
Enjoyed your F post.
Happy Easter.
Yvonne.

MJ said...

I have the fear of failing or that I'm not really good enough. It is hard to get motivated sometimes and really easy to give up, but nothing comes from nothing and I want more than nothing. Good luck to you!
-MJ A to Z blogger
http://creativelyspiltink.blogspot.com/

Georgina Morales said...

Fear is, without a doubt, our worst enemy. It can cripple and stop us. We all feel fear, the important thing is to learn how to move forward, how to conquer it for the moment being. I love your post.

Thanks for stoping by my blog.
From Diary of a Writer in Progress

Joanne said...

Awesome post Misha! Fear does stop me from doing things...doubting myself is my biggest enemy.
Blessings, Joanne

Falen said...

Love your solution. You have been given those dreams for a purpose. Relying on God to get you there will make all the difference. You are More than a Conqueror!

Marian Allen said...

The biggest fear is that I'll succeed, but lose something more precious. All those childhood fairy tales coming back to haunt me!

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Andrew Leon said...

"Fear is the mind killer."

Sharkbytes said...

I guess I'm wired differently. I don't have many issues with fear. Other things, yes. Good solutions. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge this month.

Rena Lesué said...

Go forth and conquer. You can do it!

visiting from A to Z.

prose-spective.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Those two questions you quoted ruled my life for the longest time.


---Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Grammy said...

Well, I see it like this...sometimes it is better to do one thing well, and enjoy doing it, than trying to do three things and not doing as well as you wish in any of them. Fear is a killer of faith, so don't let it cripple you. God is always in control when we permit Him to be. God bless you my dear. How wonderful to have so many talents. Use them to the best of your ability. Best regards to you, my friend. Ruby

Misha Gerrick said...

Hahaha you know what they say about great minds...

Misha Gerrick said...

So true, Yvonne. Even when we're without human company, God is there for us. :-)

Misha Gerrick said...

So true. That desire to want more than nothing will help you to move through fear. Good luck to you too!

Misha Gerrick said...

I agree with you. I find that fear has a uniquely strong impact on us writers, because we're a singularly insecure bunch. ;-P

Glad you enjoyed my post. Thanks for stopping by!

Misha Gerrick said...

Yeah, doubts really can hurt us if we let them.

Misha Gerrick said...

Thanks for the lovely comment. I agree with you 100%.

Misha Gerrick said...

Ooh that is a scary thought. I hope that it doesn't keep you back too much.

Misha Gerrick said...

Definitely.

Misha Gerrick said...

Yes I know what you mean. Those first few seconds before you get lost in the music are terrifying.

I sing in choirs and solos, so I know. :-)

Misha Gerrick said...

You're really lucky. :-)

Misha Gerrick said...

Thanks so much!

Misha Gerrick said...

Yeah it's never nice to come to that realization. I hope you've manage to find a way to knock those two questions off the throne of your life?

Misha Gerrick said...

So true. On the other hand, I've also learnt that the more I do, the more God helps me to do. :-)