Sunday, April 22, 2012

A to Z Challenge: Stand Out

Credit

It's something that really fascinates and frustrates me at the same time. People seem to be ashamed of the gifts that God gave them.

Have you ever noticed how people can't take a sincere compliment? Do you notice it in yourself?

I know that modesty is fed to us from the moment we're born, but it's just nonsense. Where does it stand that we have to be mediocre to be good people. And where does it stand that we're supposed to pretend to be average?

We're not. No one is. Not unless we let it become a habit.

Maybe it's because there seems to be this hatred of arrogance. But isn't hypocritical modesty or worse, bad self esteem even more wrong?

There's nothing wrong with being confident in who you are and what you can do. As long as you give other people space to do what they can as well. If you're not hurting anyone, or breaking someone down in order to grow your ego, there's nothing wrong with believing yourself.

On the contrary, if you believe in yourself, other people will believe in you too. And then they'll be more willing to support you in your efforts. And they'll give you a chance at your dreams. Because if you use your talents and let people see you using them, odds are that you won't squander your opportunities either.

So be willing to stand out. And for heaven's sake, if someone says you look good today, say "thank you" and use that as a building block to your self-confidence.

Do you try to hide your talents from people? Do you hide behind modesty? Ever wonder why?

7 comments:

Ruth said...

When I was younger, I had a hard time accepting compliments. Growing up I didn't get them or I got called names so I guess I felt I didn't really deserve compliments later on when I got them.
I am more confident now and am good with compliments.

Dana said...

I admit that I still have a hard time accepting compliments. If someone says my hair looks nice, I'll say something like, "Oh, it's so flat today." I don't know why I can't just thank the person. This is something I need to work on.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I like to recieve compliaments.....but don't get that many..lol
Great S post and wonderful to read.

Yvonne.

Bethie said...

Awesome post. This does follow what I said in my S post. God said to be humble, not mediocre. It's so encouraging to get compliments. That's why I try to give as many as I can.

Falen said...

Great post! I was just talking to someone at work about this the other day!!

Anonymous said...

I struggle to take compliments because years of emotional abuse left me feeling worthless.

SpacerGuy said...

When I was little I used to stare at the pavement and then one day I discovered Star Trek. I haven't grown up since.