Friday, July 20, 2012

Efficiency: Too much of a good thing?

This definitely isn't what I was going to write about, but now I'm thinking.

Is there something like being too efficient?

See... I realized that I need to stretch my writing. So to do that, I entered my first writing competition in about a year. Except I have no inspiration.

All of my focus went into writing Doorways, which is why I want to stretch in the first place. But now I realize it isn't my only problem. I'm so focused on getting things done. On having something to show for what I've done, that I forget to take a minute and just breathe.

And that is quite damaging to my inspiration. My story ideas come from everywhere. Riding in a car and letting my thoughts wander. Going somewhere new. Trying something new.

Watching t.v.

Reading.

Just sitting and doing nothing.

Where I don't get inspired: when I am in fact busy writing, stressing and focusing on doing something. Those are times I use my inspiration. Not when I generate it.

And I haven't really given my mind time to wander in a long time. So... that leaves me wondering. Should I maybe veg out in front of the t.v. every now and then? How much focusing is too much?

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm so scattered in every which way that I find it hard to focus on anything...too many interruptions ! Veg out a bit and rest. Take some time to just stare out the window. Sometimes inspiration comes from the smallest things. Great post!
Blessings, Joanne

DL Hammons said...

For me, twenty minutes relaxing in a hot tub is all it takes to churn out all kinds of idea's. The ultimate vegging! :)

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

I think changing your environment is always good for a writer. Take a walk, a bike ride, watch a good movie, go out to lunch, bake some cookies. Give the brain something else to focus on, if even for short time. New ideas always come to me when I'm doing something else.

Anonymous said...

I need to go for a walk, listen to music, watch a movie, or do housework to have my mind generate new ideas.

When I force myself to write so that I can get pages down for a draft, I end up taking many breaks to stare into space, listen to music, or do "research" on the web. Those breaks do help me. Sitting down and doing straight work is hard. That only works during the last stages of revisions and when I'm editing, after all the ideas are down.