Friday, October 12, 2012

My current oil painting project

Now that my edits are done again, I have a more time to do some stuff I love. Still taking a break, hoping that I can start writing in November. Still haven't picked which story I'll work on, though.

In the mean time, I'm busy painting my grandmother's Christmas Present.  It's a beach scene, which is a new challenge all of its own. Reason: this particular beach doesn't have breakers, only millions of tiny little waves.

On the other hand, I think I managed the sand's many footprints upon footprints quite well.

So now I still have to paint the figures, rocks, sky and water, as well as some mountains and a quay. Lots of different textures and shades. Not a huge variety of colors, though. Lots of blue. Blue and brown. Bluish brown. Millions of blues for waves. A bluish gray, I grayish blue.... And blue clouds.

And they all have to be different.

Fingers crossed it works like I want it to, because I spent quite a few hours and lots of paint on it.

Fortunately the light is improving (summer's here and with it, more sunlight), so I'll hopefully be able to finish the painting in time.

Of course, the final medium will be almost pure linseed oil, so it's an open question as to whether the painting will dry in two months. In fact, I might have to wait for weeks after finishing this layer as well. We'll have to see.

Maybe once it's done, I'll show both the photo and the painting.

Anyone else painting something?

6 comments:

Connie Keller said...

I wish I could paint. But no such luck. On the other hand, my husband is a very gifted watercolor painter, so I get gorgeous art. I'm really spoiled.

Mike Keyton said...

I like the way you pick out all the different shades of colour. It put me in mind of walking my children in the country when they were toddlers, and my delight when they finally realised there were so many shades of green. Then we went on to the clouds. Neither became artists but both are remarkably subtle.

writing and living by Richard P Hughes said...

Please show it to us. I'd like to see it.

Misha Gerrick said...

Oh that's lovely. :-D

Misha Gerrick said...

Yeah my gran taught me to paint when I was really young, so picking up my brushes again just reminded me to look at the world with a finer eye for detail.

Misha Gerrick said...

I will show you the moment I have it finished.