Saturday, April 6, 2013

A to Z Challenge: Fear

Taking charge of your life is more than making a few decisions and just doing them. Like I mentioned, making and acting on decisions are really difficult. One of the biggest reasons is that you're going to have to start out without a reliable support system.

The other big reason is fear.

Not risk. Because a risk isn't technically an obstacle. It's actually nothing more and nothing less than the chance that something bad might happen. So no, it's not a risk that's keeping you back.

That honor goes to your fear alone.

Sometimes with good reason.

Fear kept me from changing majors in the beginning because I was afraid of what people I knew would think. (Incidentally the worst possible thing I had to fear.) Then came my fear of failing to succeed (not that I even had a clue of what success meant). Then came my fear for my financial stability.

But finances, I'm leaving for M-day.

The point is, there were serious fears in my life and I had to deal with them first before getting anywhere.

And let me tell you this. It takes a while. Addressing my fears and sorting out the after-effects of what I thought money was to me took about two years. It's really a big battle. I'll have post about this for I-day.

Difficult as the application may be, the concept of battling your fears is simple. It's the same process as making a decision, but with a little twist.

Since this is all about your fears, it's about you once again. What do you risk losing? What do you stand a chance of gaining?

To clarify even more, flip it around. If you stay where you are now, what do you have? What chances are you missing out on? In other words, what won't you gain because of missing that chance?

A good example I can think of comes from when I wanted to go into the arts. At that stage, I had a course that would give me some seriously good money if I stayed there long enough.

So obviously, doing something else would mean I'd lose my chances at getting a steady income. But if I did move on, I'd get a chance to do the things I'd always wanted to do.

And if I stayed, I would never get the time to do what I want.

To me, the fact that I'd always be chained to a desk in a career that's known for killing the people in it, without a chance of getting to do what I've always really wanted to do, just wasn't worth it.

And once you decide whether or not taking the risk is, you get to plan your strategy.

Prayer


Lord, 

I'm afraid, but I know You're here for me. Help me to address my fears, Lord. Please let me see the weights and balances of the risks to this decision. 

Guide me in realizing what You want me to do, and open my eyes so I can see just how insignificant my fears are in comparison. 

I pray this in Jesus's name. 

Amen.



23 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

Face your fears and forge on.
Another lovely prayer.

TaMara Sloan said...

A verse I use whenever I'm feeling fear and it's beginning to keep me from doing something is 2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

TaMara
Tales of a Pee Dee Mama

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I guess I took the advice that "the only way out is through" and I took on my fears and embraced them. Now I am a horror game writer.
Maybe I went a little too far. ;)

Great post.

Tim

Unknown said...

Whenever I realize fear is keeping me from embracing a decision, I stop and evaluate the source. We know "perfect love drives out all fear" so I know who is not responsible for the fear. If I avoid a life change because of fear, I'm listening to the wrong power source.

Megan said...

I turn to Jeremiah 29:11 when I am afraid.

Rob-bear said...

The more I read your posts, the more I like them. And you.

Fear is a terrible controller, especially if you don't have a very positive self-image.

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting

Andrew Leon said...

I've always looked at like this: giving in to fear is the sure way of getting the thing you're scared of getting if you fail.

Unknown said...

I really really like how you end each post with a prayer. It's really refreshing.

Anonymous said...

I'm dealing with fear right now- fear of failure, fear of water, fear of the future and finances and relationships...and tonight before I go to bed, I'll say the prayer above. The words are powerful and I I hope God answers...

Melody said...

That is great practical advice: think of what you will lose/gain by moving on or what you are missing out on/gaining by staying where you are at. That helps me.

Misha Gerrick said...

Thanks, Mary!

Misha Gerrick said...

That's an excellent verse to remember in difficult times.

Misha Gerrick said...

Hahaha or maybe you're just realllly skilled at handling your fears.

Misha Gerrick said...

That's an amazing way to evaluate your fears. Thank you for sharing!

Misha Gerrick said...

Glad you liked it. :-)

Misha Gerrick said...

Thanks!

Misha Gerrick said...

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." (New King James Version)

That's a really beautiful verse. Thanks for sharing!

Misha Gerrick said...

Thanks Rob! I'm glad you like my posts. :-)

Yes! But I've noticed that self-image improves rapidly in the absence of fear.

Misha Gerrick said...

Very very true.

Misha Gerrick said...

Thanks, friend!:-D

Misha Gerrick said...

God always answers. Just keep yourself tuned to listening. Sometimes He speaks in ways we don't expect.

Misha Gerrick said...

I'm glad to help you. :-)

Andrew Leon said...

Oh, and "fear is the mind killer."