Thursday, April 11, 2013

A to Z Challenge: Jumping the Gun

Once we dealt with fear and know who we are and where we're supposed to be headed, we can sit down and think of our strategy.

I'm all for this. Having a goal with a sort of idea about how to get there. But then people jump the gun. They plan their futures and how life will be. And then they get stuck with their focus on the future. Which is a serious problem.

Because if you're stuck with your eyes in the future, you don't look around you in the present.

And the big disadvantage of that is that you miss short cuts and opportunities, that could have gotten you to your goal sooner. Or at least a lot easier.

So yes. Know what you want, but I suggest you focus on things you can do right now that will lead you closer to your goals.

Another thing I have about plans is that it makes me inflexible. Maybe it's because I'm human, but my plan only keeps me open to one or two possibilities. Anything more than that and I just don't have anything ready for it. I often talk to people who procrastinate on doing something because they don't have enough money or time to do it. It's as if our plans just don't work if we don't have the perfect starting position in place.

Honestly, though, life is a bit simpler than that. If you can't afford classes, find another way to learn. Or find away to earn the money. If you don't have time, stop trying to find blocks of it to devote to your goals and work to it bits at a time as much as possible.

That means you have to plan every move you make towards your goal, yes, but not every move you will make. It sounds like a small difference.

But in reality, it's life-changing.

Prayer


Lord, 

Thank You that I can trust in Your plans. That I can know that You are in full control of my future. 

Please help me to live in the present. Open my eyes to the possibilities and opportunities around me. And guide me in planning whatever I need to do right now to achieve my goals. 

I pray this in Jesus's name. 

Amen.

7 comments:

Doreen McGettigan said...

Another lovely post and prayer.I have been trying to have set planning' time. Where I actually sit and write out details. I'm finding it helps me to focus more on what I'm doing now rather than what's happening next.

Andrew Leon said...

"Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future."
"But not at the expense of the here and now."

Or something like that.

Claudia Moser said...

An unexpected G choice!

Rob-bear said...

Goals and dreams are wonderful things. Sometimes they need to be revised. And yes, one cannot allow one's goals and dreams to keep on from paying attention to the here and now.

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting

Unknown said...

Oh Misha, I am a big carrot-chaser. I always, always have my eyes on the next thing and never appreciate the present like I should. One of my biggest personality flaws.

Kate OMara said...

The present is where love & laughter live.

Unknown said...

Brilliant. By chance have you read Holley Gerth's new book "You Were Made for a God-Sized Dream"? This would seem to go along nicely with her coaching.